Welcome to Health, Happiness, Hamstrings!

I am so thrilled that you are here.

I invite you to become a subscriber of Htothe3 via my RSS feed or connect with me through twitter or facebook.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Gooey & Totally Yummy Crème Brule French Toast

 

For Christmas morning Mr. Man, Bean & I planned to celebrate as a clan. Since this was a treat, to be just the three of us, I wanted to make something decadent and special. First thing that came to mind was my gooey and totally yummy Crème Brule French Toast recipe.

This recipe is special to us since it was served at my unofficial “first” Mother’s Day brunch. While I was pregnant with Bean, Brett and I hosted our first Mother’s Day at our new house. The original recipe calls for half-and-half, but I use whole milk to slim it down. Not only does it help with the calories, slightly, but this minor change helps with my tummy issues by reducing the richness - - again - - not calories!

Winking smile 

Also, instead of Grand Marnier I use orange juice.

Hope this dish makes a debut on your table when you celebrate a special moment. Don’t forget to plan ahead: the recipe requires that you chill the mixture at least 8 hours and up to 1 day.

From our table to yours:

~Lauren

 

Gooey & Totally Yummy Crème Brule French Toast

(adapted from Gourmet Magazine | July 1998)

L1020160

Yield: Makes 6 servings

Ingredients

1 stick unsalted butter

1 cup packed brown sugar

2 tablespoons corn syrup

1 challah

5 large eggs

1 1/2 cups whole milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon orange juice

1/4 teaspoon salt

Instructions

In small heavy saucepan melt butter with brown sugar and corn syrup over moderate heat, stirring, until smooth and pour into a 13 – by 9 – by 3 – inch pyrex pan. Cut 6 1-inch thick slices from center of challah. Arrange bread slices in one layer in baking dish, squeezing them slightly to fit.

In a bowl whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, oj, and salt until combined well and pour evenly over bread. Chill bread mixture, covered, at least 8 hours and up to 1 day.

Preheat over to 350 degrees and bring bread to room temp.

Bake bread mixture, uncovered, in middle of oven until puffed and edges are pale golden, 35 to 40 minutes.

Serve immediately.

 

L1020087    L1020091    L1020093L1020105

We have a busy rest of the week and weekend - - -  see you in 2011 Health, Happiness, Hamstrings readers.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...