Welcome to Health, Happiness, Hamstrings!

I am so thrilled that you are here.

I invite you to become a subscriber of Htothe3 via my RSS feed or connect with me through twitter or facebook.

Friday, February 11, 2011

Said/Heard Mishaps Alka-Seltzer brand Contest on Facebook

 

Announcement

 

Are there times when you have a conversation with your kids, husband, other family members, or friends and you say one thing, but they hear something totally different? I don’t know about you, but it tends to happen more than I would like to admit. Maybe it’s because my brain moves faster than my body, but it’s quite comical. Let’s blame it on balancing the demands of motherhood and being a support to Mr. Man. Either way, whoever thought this scenario could help someone win a trip to New York City AND $5,000.

Thanks to the Alka-Seltzer brand, which recently launched the Said/Heard Mishaps Contest on Facebook, by submitting humorous stories about these misunderstandings you enter to win:

  • A trip to New York City to star in an Alka-Seltzer online video featuring the winning entry
  • Whoever has the winning spot will premiere on the Alka-Seltzer Facebook page!
  • AND $5,000 to spend toward whatever the winner wishes.

That being said, here is my said/heard mishap. While the story WASN’T funny, when it happened, we NOW find it humorous because of Mr. Man’s one track “hearing.” Mr. Man assisted in the narration of the story since he is the “reason” for the mishap.

 

So, have you seen “Meet the Fockers?” For those of you familiar with this movie, you’ll understand the reference. My family is a lot like the wife’s family – reserved and “refined.” Mr. Man’s family is a lot like the Fockers – outward displays of affection and not always attuned to my family’s quieter ways.

In my family, a person’s age isn’t discussed, especially when it comes to my mother. This rule was ironclad a couple of years ago when my mom was turning a “scary” round number. We weren’t even supposed to wish her a happy birthday. When I first met my husband, I told him about my mom’s little quirk and reminded him, AGAIN, before this particularly sensitive birthday. Her upcoming age WAS a family secret.

I guess my husband didn’t realize the seriousness of this because he subsequently told his parents. Lo and behold, my family and Mr. Man’s family were both invited to a black tie wedding in New York City a week or so before her birthday. Before the ceremony, as people were gathering for some champagne, Mr. Man’s mother said to my mom, “a little birdie told me that a really big birthday is coming up!”

World War III ensued. My normally quiet and VERY reserved mom started screaming at Mr. Man’s mom, and stormed off. The drama continued through the ceremony, I refused to sit with them and both families sat far apart. The drama continued through cocktail hour.

Eventually, there were apologies and explanations. Thankfully, it is all behind us now and in the end, it brought our families closer.

I guess that’s what happens when my husband has one track “hearing:” it causes said/heard mishaps.

 

Now it is your turn! What stories about misunderstanding do you have when what people hear is different than what was said. Please share these stories and enter the Alka-Seltzer Said/Heard Mishaps Contest. You can either comment below and share it on Health, Happiness, Hamstrings OR please visit the Alka-Seltzer Facebook page to submit your story as a contestant.

I can’t wait to hear your stories………

Abbreviated Contest Rules

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Legal residents of the 50 United States (D.C.), 18 years or older. Contest ends 2/25/11. To enter and for Official Rules, including prize description, visit http://www.facebook.com/AlkaSeltzerOriginal?v=app_7146470109&ref=sgm.  Void where prohibited.

 

Disclaimer: I was compensated by TheMotherhood and the Alka-Seltzer brand to write this post.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...