Welcome to Health, Happiness, Hamstrings!

I am so thrilled that you are here.

I invite you to become a subscriber of Htothe3 via my RSS feed or connect with me through twitter or facebook.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Perfect Blend of Flavor

Sorry for the lack of Health, Happiness, Hamstrings love. Life sometime gets ahead of you, if you know what I mean. But here I am......Mr. Man, Bean and I had a VERY busy weekend. All good things, but busy.

Since Mr. Man pulled out his back I wasn't able to run as much as I would have liked. Not being able to bend over and watching an almost one year old isn't the best combination. Therefore running was not in the equation. After not running since Tuesday (had a GREAT run/training session with Neil Deanut of All Out Fitness) I did accomplish a nice 2 mile run this morning. Keeping to my 15 min mile and maintained a steady heart rate, which I was happy with. In the short time I have been running I have noticed that I get more out of my runs when I use my heart monitor. Goal is to push my run to 2.5 miles to get a higher calorie burn.

Now for eats......On Friday I was reading a blog post by Ashley of the edible perspective where she made a simple roasted veggie dish with couscous. My mouth was watering as I read the combination of flavors (Turn back the clock just 4 months ago you would NEVER hear me saying these words.--I almost told Mr. Man to call a search and rescue crew because someone has taken over his wife). Because I didn't have all of the ingredients that Ashley used in her dish this allowed me to make my of version, which I define to be the perfect blend of flavor.

Lauren's Couscous & Roasted Veg (adapted from Edible Perspective)

~1 pint cherry/grape tomatoes
~1 eggplant
~5 brussel sprouts
~1 zucchini
~4 stalks of dinosaur kale
~couscous (I used one box of Near East Couscous)

1. Preheat oven to 450
2. Cut up veggies (keep tomatoes whole) and coat with EVOO then sprinkle with salt (I had kosher on hand, but prefer sea) and pepper. Roast for approx 20 minutes
3. Add in chopped kale. Roast for another approx 10 minutes
4. Cook whatever couscous you have on hand according to the directions.
5. Combine in a bowel and top!

Toppings:
goat cheese
juice of lemon to taste
pepitas

Great post Ashley! This was truly the perfect blend of flavor.

(Since Mr. Man "stole" my camera I wasn't able to take pictures)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...