Welcome to Health, Happiness, Hamstrings!

I am so thrilled that you are here.

I invite you to become a subscriber of Htothe3 via my RSS feed or connect with me through twitter or facebook.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Red Lentil Curry– Any Crowd Pleaser

 

L1020384

Ever since the creation of Mr. Man’s business, the concept of healthy eating and the definition of what’s healthy have become foreign concepts to him. No fault of his own, kind of, but it reminds me that my habits and what I introduce Bean to are even more important.

As we know, I also have to be more aware of my diet because of stomach issues. Sometimes, I just deal with the consequences, and that is one of the reasons why I do not mention it often these days. Nevertheless, with the New Year, I have been more aware of what I am eating and have made a conscious effort to introduce Bean to all different types of cuisines. I am aware that she will go through her phases, being picky and choosey about what she likes and doesn’t, but being open-minded will hopefully help - I think (fingers are crossed and veteran moms your advise it greatly appreciated).

This, what I like to call “stating my independence,” is something I have already experienced. For example, Bean would eat eggs by the dozen and then suddenly decided she wanted nothing to do with them. Watching this drastic change only motivated me to try even more with her. Worst case scenario, she doesn’t like it and it will become dinner for Mr. Man and me. It was time to pull out a staple is our household, something I made often even before Bean started eating solids, Red Lentil Curry by weelicious.

Being as optimistic as possible I the bowl in front of her and watched. The pictures will tell you the rest of the sorry, but to summarize: she couldn’t get enough of it. Watching this little bean, herself, eating it faster than I could have imagined was not only a mommy’s dream come true, but a foodie’s dream as well. I hope, if isn’t not your little one, someone in your family love this recipe as much as we do. Trust me the blend of flavor alone is worth the try. It is also budget friendly since the a bag of lentils I bought only cost me $1.

L1020344         L1020355L1020356              L1020360

Have a wonderful week.

 

 

Red Lentil Curry (adapted from weelicious) (serves 4-6)

Ingredients

1 Tbsp Oil – I use olive oil
1 Small Onion, diced
1 Large Carrot, peeled and cut into a small dice
1 Garlic Clove
1 Tsp Fresh Ginger, minced
2 Tsp Curry Powder
1 Tsp Cumin
1 Tsp Turmeric
2 Cups Water
2 Tsp Salt
1 14 oz Can Tomato Puree
1 Cups Red Lentils, rinsed well
Couscous – make according to directions

 

Directions

1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Saute the onions and carrots for 4 minutes.
3. Add the garlic, ginger, curry, cumin and turmeric and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add the lentils, water, salt and tomato puree and bring to a boil.
5. Stir, cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 35 minutes or until creamy and tender.
6. Serve with couscous.

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...